Back pain is becoming one of the major problems among young individuals. This has also become a common reason for the absence from work and for seeking medical treatment. Back pain can be debilitating and uncomfortable. Back pain can result from any activity, injury, or medical condition. People of any age group can be affected by back pain and for any reason. As people age, the chances of lower back pain increase which can be because of their previous professions, lifestyle, or degenerative disk disease.
Lower back pain may usually be linked to discs between the vertebrae, bony lumbar spine, ligaments around the discs and spine, nerves and spinal cord, pelvic and abdominal internal organs, lower back muscles, and the lumbar area. Also, if we see upper back pain, this may be due to spine inflammation, and disorders of the aorta.
Now, let us see the most common causes of back pain.
The most common cause of back pain is strain, injury, or tension and the most frequent causes in this category are:
- Muscle spasm
- Strained ligaments or muscles
- Damaged disks
- Muscle tension
- Fractures, injuries, or falls
Activities that can lead to spasms or strains include:
- Lifting heavy things
- Lifting things improperly
- Making awkward or abrupt movement
Various kinds of structural problems can also lead to back pain.
- Bulging Disks: Bulging disk leads to more pressure on a nerve, which further causes back pain.
- Ruptured Disks: Each vertebra in our spine are cushioned by disks. If these disks rupture, more pressure is put on the nerve and that results to back pain.
- Sciatica: In Sciatica, shooting and sharp pain starts from the buttock and goes down to the back of the leg which is caused by a herniated disk or bulging.
- Arthritis: Arthritis cause problems to the lower back, hips joints, and other places.
- Abnormal Curvature: When the spine curves in an unusual way, it leads to back pain.
- Kidney Problems: Kidney infection or kidney stones may also lead to back pain.
- Osteoporosis: When bones become porous or brittle including the spine vertebrae, it causes compression fractures which leads to back pain.
Another major reason for back pain amongst youngsters is posture and movement. While using computers, sitting in a very hunched position increases shoulder and back problems over time. Poor posture or one of the following day-to-day activities may lead to back pain.
- Bending awkwardly
- Bending for long periods
- Muscle tension
- Lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying something
- Sitting or standing for long periods
- Long drives without taking any break can lead to back pain even if the posture is not hunched
- Sleeping on a mattress that doesn’t support your body posture
- Coughing or sneezing
- Straining the neck forward when on the computer or when driving
Depending on the cause of your back pain, your treatment is decided which may include lifestyle changes or medication. At Align Grapevine, our team is fully dedicated to giving you pain-relieving chiropractic, physical medication, or rehabilitative solutions depending on the need of the situation. Contact us today to set up an appointment!